Job Description: Product Designer - UI
Location: New York
Salary Range: $120k - $180k depending on skills and experience.
Daylight is the first and only digital banking platform designed specifically for the LGBTQ+ community. Our mobile-first banking experience is designed to help our members navigate through the unique financial pain-points experienced by queer people. We launched our trans-affirming Checking Account in 2020.
In January 2023, we will be launching our new product - Daylight Grow - a membership service targeting aspiring queer parents needing help with financial planning and loans. Shortly thereafter we will be launching our family building marketplace for aspiring parents to find trusted services to support their fertility journey.
Daylight is backed by industry powerhouses, Citibank, Visa, JP Morgan Chase, Gaingels and Anthemis Group.
About the Team:
We’re a queer-owned and queer-run business aligned around a single mission... to give our members the financial tools and products they need to live their best lives.
Our team’s background and experiences go beyond traditional banking. We hire from healthcare, financial services and other high-stakes, regulated industries. We have recently closed our Series A and are well funded to take Daylight Grow to market and scale.
We're looking for an experienced mobile UI designer to design and deliver a design-forward premium mobile experience for Daylight subscribers. As we approach the launch of our new parenting service, you’ll take the lead in designing our embedded marketplace of fertility and family building products that convert.
You’ll be adept at creating experiences as beautiful as they are effective. You love playing in pixels, thinking about color, contrast, and spacing, and understand the play between an interface that brings style and energy while also getting out of the way of the customer. You should be comfortable working within established brand identity systems and pattern libraries.
Animation skills are a plus - we’ll be building out our design system for gamification and user rewards and these will be key to driving referrals and engagement.
- Early stage start-up environment, handling multiple complex projects at once
- Reporting to the CTO, you will work day-to-day in a self-organizing product pod with colleagues from engineering, product, design and data. You will therefore have a high degree of autonomy to propose solutions and build features that achieve your product pod’s OKRs
- Work with our UX lead to create and implement a premium design that is a core driver of our subscriber experience.
- Conduct human-centered design projects from user journey to wireframe to final UI design with a focus on driving desired user behaviors.
- Be a driving force behind growing our brand by cataloging and refining style guides and implementing design libraries to allow for consistent branding and interface experience throughout the application and beyond.
- Communicate application look-and-feel and behavior with comps, diagrams and annotation that will allow developers to execute on your intent
Your Personal Profile:
- 3-5 years experience in designing beautiful experiences for consumer mobile applications in a banking or gaming context.
- Strong modern UI design foundation, typography & illustration skills with expertise in Figma (our primary design tool).
- Strong portfolio of design work designed to drive and incentivize user behavior
- Ability to interpret and translate design requirements of abstract creative ideas
- Experience using data to identify unseen behaviors, or areas of optimization. A proactive approach to working across functions and incorporating feedback/requirements from your stakeholders.
- Capable of creating UI animatics by taking the visual designs of menus, buttons, navigation flows and animating them according to Daylight’s design standards as they develop,
- A flexible UI skill set and can jump from early / no-code design stages (wireframes, user flow charts) to polished visual design (iconography, typography, layout).
- Experience in prototyping UI interactivity and incorporating motion/animation into UI
- Experience building design systems, interaction patterns, and limitations of cross functional platforms - specifically iOS, Android and web apps
You must have a portfolio showcasing your mobile app UI design and animation skills to apply for this role (including specifying what your particular contribution is to each project you showcase).
- You’re a gamer, or think like one, and have an intuitive sense of how games work, what motivates users and how features can hack into these pathways to drive user behavior.
- You are thoughtful, reliable and flexible with a sharp eye who is customer-obsessed, detail-oriented, and enthusiastic
- Strong understanding of digital and social platforms as well as their use in marketing and user engagement
- Imaginative and creative self-starter with a take-ownership mentality
- Be looking to define the future of design trends in the meta space
- Thorough understanding of design for the interactive web, specifically mobile
- You’re highly organized and able to keep track of multiple versions of product solutions to accurately reflect current, short-term and long-term intentions.
- You are humble, low-ego and always put the user first. You incorporate user feedback and testing. You have the demonstrated ability to help stakeholders understand the user needs, and put those above what the stakeholder wants."
Things that will accelerate your success at Daylight:
Daylight’s value, Attentive, means that we aim to create a culture of empathy where everyone can belong and be their real authentic selves in the office. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives, though we have strict policies in place against racism, homophobia, biphobia and transphobia.
Joining the team means you’ll join us as we go looking for trouble (so we can solve it!). That means that you will exemplify our behaviors.
- Tenacious – You’re persistent and persevering. You’re resilient. You never give up.
- Attentive – You’re great at listening and observing. Your understanding drives empathy and shapes what we create and how we respond.
- Clever – You’re not just smart. You’re ingenious, bright and skilled. Ready to figure things out. (You’re also not afraid of being clever. Think witty and unexpected with a dash of humor)
- Celebratory – This is more than pride. You’re affirming—you see and cheer on personal wins, set and met goals and the community around us.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.
To apply, email your portfolio and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a supporting portfolio of mobile app design work will be rejected.